If you ask me which version of bird of paradise is harder (standing or sitting), I would say the standing one. When hips and hamstring aren’t flexible or didn’t get warm up enough it will make your balance in standing become more challenging. Anyhow, give yourself a try with seated version.
Some of the prep poses are:
- Extended side angle pose with binding arms (Utthita Parsvakonasana)
- Lizard pose (Utthan Pristhasana)
- Goddess pose (Utkata Konasana)
- Revolved head to knee pose (Parivrtta Janu Sirsanasa)
- Shooting bow (Akarna Dhanurasana)
- Sundial pose (Surya Yantrasana)
And any position to help you stretch hamstrings.
Enjoy your practice!